First of all I prepped all the ingredients.
You will need:
- 500g lamb shoulder - boneless
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped into large chunks
- 6 shallots - chopped into halves
- 3 cloves garlic - sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon - peel with a vegetable peeler as you want strips of peel
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
- 250ml dry white wine
- 300g Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of runny honey
- 1 fennel bulb - finely sliced
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley - leaves only
How to do it:
Preheat oven to 170C /325F or Gas 3
Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Put the olive oil in a cooking pot (one that can go into the oven and has a lid) and heat it up. I used my Tagine as it is so amazing, it can go on the oven top and in the oven too!
Put the lamb in and seal the meat until it is golden brown on all sides.
Add the onion and the shallots to pot with the garlic, lemon zest, oregano and the white wine.
Remove from the heat and cover the lamb with the yogurt and drizzle with honey. Put the lid on and cook in oven for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
When it comes out of the oven the yogurt has turned to cheese and is used in the dressing for the fennel.
Once it's cooked, remove the lamb from the pot and allow to cool a little. Slice into thick-ish strips.
Place the strips of lamb on a BBQ, or grill and grill on both sides - they wont take very long at all as they are already cooked.
Make a dressing by straining the juices from the remaining onions in the pot and place the onions into a bowl. Add finely sliced fennel and picked parsley leaves.
Season to taste and drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with lamb and the sliced fennel.