Showing posts with label Safety in the Kitchen. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Safety in the Kitchen. Show all posts

Monday, 28 September 2015

SuperFast Thermapen 4 vs Classic Thermapen - Review

It has to be said I do have a lot of fancy kitchen gadgets, but the one thing I couldn't be without is my Thermapen probe thermometer.  It gets used in my kitchen pretty much every single day and without meaning to sound like an advert, I really do love the Thermapen and can't recommend them enough. 

I believed there wasn't anything that could be improved on (until I recently received the new SuperFast Thermapen 4) which has an automatic 360° rotational display meaning it's is readable whether you are left or right handed which is fantastic.

Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Thermapen Thermometer - Review

Checking the temperature of any kind of poultry is always a good thing to do for health and safety reasons.  But it's also good to know that your Christmas turkey or that beef joint is cooked to perfection and doesn't end up under or overcooked and dried out.   All you need is a good digital thermometer to check food is properly cooked but without all the prodding and poking every five minutes.  

Of course checking the temperature isn't all about meat and poultry, according to experts, the secret to Plum Pudding perfection on Christmas Day is to reheat it to precisely 71°C.  Any hotter than 89°C and the sugar within the fruits begins to caramelise and no matter how luxurious its ingredients, your pudding will taste bitter.

I'm a big fan of digital thermometers and I always use one to check if meat or poultry is cooked.  Having been sent the Thermapen® I must say I think it's brilliant and extra fast at displaying a precise reading in just three seconds.  

I have a few different digital thermometers and in my opinion this is by far the best.   Okay the price is more expensive than the others I own but I'd say this one in particular is really worth investing in.  It's sturdy and is very well made.  

Thermapen is made in Britain and each comes serial number on the back and a Manufacturer's Certificate of Calibration which if filled in by hand.  Guaranteed to be accurate to + or - 0.4c with a range of -49.9 to 299.9c

The digital display is large and easy to read and the manufactures say the biomaster casing reduces bacterial growth.  The case is splash-proof and it's really easy to use, there are no buttons or switches to press and it's comfortable to hold in your hand.  Just unfold, probe by inserting at least 3mm to get an accurate temperature reading. 
Available in a wide range of colours and comes with a two year guarantee.

Great for all meat and poultry dishes, baking and jamming - at the time of writing the Thermapen costs £57.60 pop over to for more details.
Many thanks to Jo and Thermapen for sending me this product to review.
All opinions and thoughts are my own.  I was not required to write a positive review.  I only ever post reviews on products I like the look of and therefore would buy myself.

Friday, 22 March 2013

Keeping Safe in and Around the Kitchen

Keeping safe at all times is of course important, but when cooking in the kitchen you need to take extra care.  One silly mistake can so very easily turn into a disaster.  A recent incident in my kitchen made me realise we should all have some sort of fire blanket and extinguisher to hand.  
 Afterwards, looking on the net I came across this really handy to know about site called Pure Safety.

 Let me share with you my very near disaster that happened in my own kitchen:

Anyone that follows me on FaceBook will have heard my story on the day it happened. I know it was really very stupid of me but I needed to melt some butter.  I was brushing sheets of filo pastry with the butter, and as you're probably aware, you have to be quick about it as filo pastry dries out so fast and is ruined.   

I'd already melted my butter in the microwave (not recommended) but because it had started to cool, I popped it back in for just 10 seconds more.  Suddenly, the butter exploded and completely covered the inside of the microwave.  Seriously, every nook and cranny was totally covered in almost 100g of butter!  So the cleaning up began and it took an age.   

Desperate to know if my fancy all singing all dancing convection, grill microwave still worked.  My husband Paul was with me and he said just put the grill on for a few seconds.  Yes it will smoke, but its got to burn off any remaining butter that I couldn’t get to.  So on went the grill, and yes it smoked.  We left the door open and then put it on for another few seconds.  After repeating this we decided that a minute might sort it out.
This turned out to be a HUGE mistake as it actually caught fire.

You will not know how frightening it was.  I moved quicker than I ever have in my life and un-plugged it from the power.  I threw a damp tea towel over the top to cover the air vents and with the oven door shut, the fire went out.

I shook with fright:
 Suddenly you realise just how the fire might not have gone out so quickly.  It was actually just the butter that had caught fire and not the actual grill or workings of the oven.  
However, it could have been really serious as even Paul wouldn’t have been able to pick the microwave up and get it outside quick enough if it had still been on fire.

Pure Safety have thousands of safety and health products to browse through.
Please take time to stay safe in the kitchen and do NOT melt butter in the microwave.
 Oh, and after all that my filo pastry was well and truly fit for the bin!
Do you have any safety products near to hand in your kitchen?  
Please take time to leave a comment.

This is a sponsored post.